The French “Women & Science” association
Following the pioneering studies by Huguette Delavault on the overall situation of women in science and the observation that women were notably absent at various important decision levels in science and technology, a group of women from various science disciplines and professional backgrounds founded the association "Women & Science."
The association "Women & Science" has as partners the associations femmes & mathématiques, Femmes Ingénieurs and APMST. A poster "Women in Science and Engineering" edited in cooperation with these associations is available here.
The association "Women & Science" is a full member of the European Platform of Women Scientists (EPWS) and is represented in its present Board of Administration.
- To improve the position of women in science and technology, both in the public and private sectors
- To promote a positive image of science and of women in science among women
- To encourage more young people, and particularly women, to study science or technology and pursue careers in these disciplines
- Organisation of a yearly conference (see, in French, Section Colloques)
- Numerous role model presentations in secondary schools, presentation stands at the Science Festival and Women's Day, conferences for teachers and for the general public, production of documents for teenagers and for teachers to advertise and amplify these actions (see, in French, Sections Actions milieu scolaire and Actions grand public)
- Organisation of ongoing seminars, setting up contacts with similar European and international associations (see, in French, Section Actions femmes scientifiques)
- Advising institutions and companies on policies concerning women, participation in several major national committees (see, in French, Section Actions politiques)
- Any person, female and man, scientist and non-scientist, living in France or other countries, who shares the goals of the association. The majority of the members work in public research, education or engineering, and live in France
- Sister associations
- Science institutions and schools of higher education
"Women & Science" regular sponsors are: